Yorkville Art Walk
Thursday, February 3, 2011
February, 2011 Overview
This month's Art Walk will be the first one of 2011 and participating galleries will provide a wide range of works to start the new year in an artistic mood. Photographic Artist Simeon Posen will be present at Liss Gallery for this month's walk.
Note: an eight week Art Class taught by Jonathan Ball of Liss Gallery will begin on Wed. Feb. 16th.
Click here for more info.
The galleries participating in this month's walk (less noted cancellations) are:
• GC Bespoke - Giani Tariello & Camal Pirbhai
• Ingram Gallery - Jean-Paul Riopelle, Mémoires d’ateliers
• Liss Gallery - Simeon Posen, photographic art
• Mayberry Fine Art - Christopher Walker, solo exhibition - tour cancelled due to delay in renovation
• Odon Wagner Gallery - Odon Wagner collection, newly representing John Ballantyne
• Workshop Toronto - Exhibition & Competition Results for 80 Bloor St. facade
Based on designs submitted by U of T Architecture students
You are welcome to check this web page up to February 3rd for any last minute changes.
February 2011, Featured Artist/Image
We are now using the original, simplified layout with one or two featured images for the current month for artists who will be present during the current art walk. To see more images from other participating galleries and learn about current exhibitions or receptions visit their web sites via the Gallery Links near the bottom of this page.
Archival Silver Gelatin Print
||"Simeon Posen, Photographer"
|Artist present for walk
Liss Gallery is pleased to present selected works by Canadian photographer & Architect Simeon Posen.
Posen studied under the late legendary American photographer Ansel Adams and has several works in the National Gallery in Ottawa. Liss Gallery was founded in 1983 & represents over 90 Internationally acclaimed artists.
||Odon Wagner Gallery
Acrylic on panel
39.5 x 27 inches
|Artist present for walk
A highly informative monthly tour takes place in the Yorkville Art Gallery district, giving newcomers and regular attendees a focused overview of the Yorkville art scene. This informal, free tour begins by gathering at the Rotunda (lower level) in the well known Hazelton Lanes Mall, opposite Browns’ Shoe Store. The attendees split into two or three smaller groups which visit selected area galleries during the evening. Each small group is led by a tour guide who is familiar with art appreciation and the Yorkville art scene. Some of the galleries may have featured artists present for the tour. A wide range of Contemporary or Historical Canadian and International works of art are available for viewing. At the end of the evening attendees may join the group for coffee at a local area café. The Artsgroup hopes you will consider this event for your calendar.
If this is your first time attending, you will find the monthly Yorkville Art Walk an ideal opportunity to view and consider a wide range of quality originals from exceptional artists. Guests will see a broad range of styles and media with something for everyone. If you want to get some fresh air and meet the artists join us for the walk. This is a great opportunity to meet many outstanding artists, discover Yorkville’s art galleries and find that perfect piece you have been looking for!
Location, Parking & Itinerary Information
The Art Walk starts at the Hazelton Lanes Mall, 87 Avenue Rd., Toronto, Ontario.
Meet on the lower level, opposite Brown’s Shoe Store in the open seating area, at the bottom of the staircase to the 2nd floor. (See Itinerary below for the detailed schedule.)
Photo of entrance on Hazelton Ave.
Free parking is available in the Hazelton Lanes underground parking lot. Enter from the 'Whole Foods' parking entrance at 87 Avenue Rd.
Please note that a new “validation” procedure is now in place, which requires visitors to get their original parking ticket validated before exiting the parking lot. Art Walk helpers no longer have pre-validated passes.
1. Upon entering the parking lot, take a ticket from the entrance machine. Do not use your credit card.
2. Take the ticket to the Guest Services counter on the upper level, above the Whole Foods cashiers.
3. Ask the Guest Services representative to validate the ticket "for the Art Walk." (Good for the entire evening.)
4. Later, when leaving the parking lot, insert the validated ticket into the machine at the parking gate.
5. If you forget to get the ticket validated before the Art Walk, you can do so after the walk. However, it is more complicated since the Guest Services counter closes at 7:30 p.m. You will need to contact the Security attendant at 416-323-3184, who will come to the counter to validate the ticket for you.
6. In October, we used a temporary validation process at the Whole Foods Customer Service counter. However, Whole Foods validated passes are good for 90 minutes and are intended for Whole Foods customers. It is best to have the ticket validated at the Guest Services counter so that it is valid for the entire evening.
Date: 1st Thursday of each month, except January
6:00 p.m. Gather and meet tour guides. Select one of the tour groups to join for the evening. (Usually 2 - 3 groups.)
6:30 p.m. Leave to tour selected galleries. Tour starts at 6:30 sharp!
8:00 p.m. Tour ends
You are welcome to join us for coffee or tea afterwards at a local café, if you can.
(The Coffee Mill - 99 Yorkville Ave.) The staff are very co-operative in supplying separate bills.
Gallery Website Links
The galleries that participate on a regular basis are listed below. However, not all these galleries participate in every Art Walk. Other area galleries also participate on an occasional basis. Just click on a gallery name to visit the gallery's web site.
1. GCBespoke Gallery
2. Ingram Gallery
3. Kinsman Robinson Galleries
4. Leonardo Galleries
5. Liss Gallery
6. Mayberry Fine Art
7. Odon Wagner Gallery
Art Walk Contact Information
Organized by: “Artsgroup”.
Art Walk Co-ordinator: Marg King
Web Site Sponsor/Creator: Paul Ferri
If you require further details please call Marg King: (647) 5 8 8 - 1 1 4 4 or send an email to Paul Ferri Click Here to email.
Please forward this page to others who you feel who would appreciate receiving this announcement. If you would like to receive your own monthly reminder about the Art Walk please send an email to Click Here to email with the email Subject of "Art Walk".
Photos used with permission of the artists and the hosting galleries.
This web page has been sponsored by Paul Ferri (Yorkville) since February, 2007 as a courtesy to the Yorkville community, the participating galleries and Toronto art lovers. Monthly Art Walk email reminders have been issued to subscribers and contacts since March, 2006.
View Paul's LinkedIn® Profile